If you are moving two blocks away or two states away, it doesn’t matter. Moving is highly stressful. That said, there are a few steps you can take to cut down on the strain and pressure.
- Give yourself time. Start early and come up with a plan. Make your key decisions right away, such as; whether to move yourself or hire a moving company. Will you pack your belongings or let the professionals box up your property? How you answer these questions will determine how much work you have ahead of you. Neighbors Moving & Storage works to take on as much of the effort as we can, to ensure that your move is as stress-free and low-maintenance as possible.
- Start spreading the news. Now is the time to let your friends and family know your new address and your date of departure. And then don’t forget all the “housekeeping” notifications; fill out the change of address at your local post office or online, report the change to your credit card companies, your medical providers, the schools your children attend, newspaper and magazines your subscribe to etc. You’ll also want to make arrangements to shut off the utilities for your current home and set up the utilities for your new home.
- Sort, sift and separate. Go through your stuff. The last thing you want to do is pay to have any unwanted junk moved. Now is the time to have a garage sale or schedule your local charity to come by with a donation truck.
- Start packing. Even if you are using professionals to pack your belongings, there will be certain personal items you’ll want to box up yourself. Give yourself at least one to two weeks to be organized and get the job done. Make sure you make a “survival box”, a container that will hold those items you will need immediately for the first night in your new home.
- Show up and scoot over. When the movers arrive, walk them through the house to show them what goes and what stays. Give them any special directions and then get out of their way. They are professionals.
If you follow these recommendations you can sit back, relax, and wait until its time to unload and start unpacking.