Moving can be a huge undertaking that can either be exciting and fun or stressful and loathsome. These tips for some great Moving Dos and Don’ts should help you have a pleasant experience.
- DO Compare Movers – Make sure you check out several movers before you make your final decision.
- DON’T Put Things Off – The earlier you start planning the better things will go and the more time you have to deal with issues that pop up.
- DO Create Lists – Make lists for everything- packing, moving, tossing, things to get, things to buy, and things you still need to do to prepare for the move.
- DON’T Pay Unless You Have to – You can often find packing supplies for free or at very cheap prices so ask around for spare boxes, left over paper, and other supplies before you buy. This is one of the often overlooked moving dos and don’ts.
- DO Have Enough Insurance – This is especially important when you have a lot of valuables that you are going to move.
- DO Get Measurements – Measure twice, move once is the best piece of advice so make sure you know the room you have at your new home or apartment so you can make sure everything is going to fit.
- DON’T Sign Until You Understand – Never sign papers if you do not know what it says or understand, get answers and clarification before you sign and agree to any terms.
- DO Keep a “Carry On” Bag– Keep the essentials you will need for the first day, such as clothes, toiletries, snacks, and such on hand so you can access them easily once you have moved. This is one of the great moving dos and don’ts you need to keep in mind!
- DON’T Forget the Babysitter – You need to seriously consider getting a babysitter for the day of the move so you can focus on the task at hand and not be distracted and stressed with the kids; the same can also go if you have pets.
- DO Label Boxes Clearly – Do not list items on the box- too much temptation for theft- but keep a list on you that has everything clearly laid out. Number the boxes and keep the detailed list of what is in each numbered box.
- DON’T Forget to Declutter – Make sure you do not simply toss everything you own in boxes, take the opportunity to sort through things and toss out things you do not really need anymore.
With these Moving Dos and Don’ts in mind, you are well on your way to having a great and very successful move.